\documentclass{article} \pagestyle{empty} \usepackage{setspace} \onehalfspacing \makeatletter \makeatother \begin{document} {\huge Yes, thank you, that part was obvious already. The question pertained to the fact that nobody outside compiler-visible code was being handed an address for b, and so the compiler could (if it wanted to) prove under pretty broad assumptions that nobody could *find* b to make the change in the first place. \par Now other people assure me that the Standard explicitly rules this out, and I'm willing to believe that--although naturally I'd still feel more comfortable if I'd actually seen the relevant text. Just so long as we're not making another wild-guess stab at solving the problem. \par} {\huge As it turns out, the discussion is now moot since volatile does indeed imply here what I dared not assume it would, and so it might even solve the RELOC problem. } Jeroen jtv \end{document}